Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sharpe
    Participant

I had an open attic with a continuous insulation layer under the ceiling joists. There is no entry for this under the attic tab. Also often blown insulation over ceiling joists so that there is insulation partially continuous and partially cavity. Also see existing condition where a 12″ batt is installed in a 2×4 joist cavity and not across joists. How can all these be modeled? All other building components have an entry for continuous insulation…why not attics?

Gamaliel Lodge
    Keymaster

We have not added a separate set of continuous insulation controls to the Attic interface because the need is very rare and we wanted to avoid cluttering the interface. This is the first report that we have heard of rigid insulation installed under the ceiling joists. Continuous insulation can be simulated by describing all other aspects of the ceiling and then increasing cavity insulation until the Assembly R-value (view-able on the ||Path popup on the detailed screen) increases by the R-value total of the continuous insulation.

Cavity insulation in excess of the joist depth is automatically applied continuously. Currently this is done for all insulation types. I have created an issue ticket to add logic that avoids doing this when the text “batt” appears in the insulation description.

Matt Sharpe
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation. I wouldn’t go ahead just yet and change it so that all “batt” installations are NOT continuous since it is also very common to install the batts in 2 layers, one in the cavity and one across the joists. Seems like the ability to specify the detail would be a better modification… or maybe the ability to edit the path layer directly so as not to clutter the UI.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 OptiMiser, LLC

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account